On August  30th the 6th graders took a bus to Camp Kirkwood right as Hurricane Idalia was about to hit.  We  arrived and had a very interesting lunch and the dining hall was booming loud. After lunch we settled in our cabins and we got split into groups. Our groups did different activities and the first one I had was the pool. We had to take swim tests which was a little nerve wracking but it wasn’t bad and after we changed out of our swim clothes our group went to a field and had orienteering which was reading a compass. It was confusing.

Later we all gathered in the dining hall for dinner where they had really good garlic bread, then we went back to our cabins and had a choice of either playing dodge ball or watching  a movie. The movie was called The Lorax. While I was playing dodge ball I got snow cones but then it started raining hard so everyone went back to our cabins and everyone was soaked. We had some cabin time  and lights out at 10:00. I didn’t sleep well and was really tired in the morning.

The next day we got up and realized it had rained the entire night. The water had come up two inches from our cabin and we saw a bench that was flooded. We had to be in the dining hall in 45 minutes so we changed and got ready which included a lot of hair braiding. We went to breakfast and it was mucky and wet and there was much we wanted to do. Our group did human building in the morning which is like working together to complete a task. We had lunch. Then in the afternoon it cleared up and our group went to the V swing. The V swing was like a zip line except you swung side to side and it was super fun and that was my favorite part. After that we had Kanga  jump which is like a trampoline but bigger and it felt like jumping on a big inflatable. Finally, we had pool time and that was the last of our activities. We went back to our cabin and showered and did whatever we needed to do before dinner. Then we took a late night walk to the campfire. And had s’mores and it was really yummy. Finally, we went to bed after an eventful night. 

When we woke up in the morning we had waffles for breakfast and did these activities in the morning. We went on the zip line which was fun but it wasn’t as fun as the V swing. We went canoeing and kayaking which I disliked because we had to sit on the dirty canoe since they only had two seats per canoe and four people in each one. And last we went to see the pig Bubbles and he was really cute and that was the end of our trip to camp Kirkwood. We had lunch and got all our stuff from our cabin. We got on the bus and the bus ride was kind of boring. Overall, I think the camp was really fun but I was excited to be home. 

2 thoughts on “Camp Kirkwood